Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 29 August 2011

Autumn Sewing

I've been thinking for a little while about sewing for the upcoming Autumn Season and have fabrics laid out in the sewing room ready to go. Whilst it was still technically summer (though not massively summery weather here in Derbyshire - cool and rainy) I didn't want to get down into the brown fabrics straight away so I started with what turned out to be 2 orange tops, and have followed up with the cardigan coat and a cream top. I've already worn the orange tops, though the cardigan coat is too heavy still. I've already bought some dark brown leather shoes and handbag (purse to the US folks) and am still looking in case I find a suitable belt and watch in the same dark brown (I may have to head to the men's department). Here's a mood board showing some of the garments and fabrics. Unfortunately the colours are a little off but hopefully the general idea still works.
 Hopefully the dark brown print fabric will be a great key in to the rest of the wardrobe. The question is whether I sew a top and dress or a top and skirt from it. Nancy would have the top and skirt to give the maximum mix and match opportunities, but I'm not huge on knit skirts.

To get the look of a dress from a top and skirt is I think quite hard, though if the skirt had a smooth faced waist rather than elastic (even though its a knit) would that work? You could then tuck the top in and belt everything......

6 comments:

Rose said...

Thanks for sharing. Those are nice color combinations. I like slightly flared knit skirts with a simple top. Those work for me in a mix and match combination. I do know what you mean about knit skirts. With some fabrics, they are a mess.

Janine said...

I have a couple of knit skirts - one bought and one home made that I love but they are double knit type fabrics. I did have one skirt made out of light weight knit which was beautiful fabric but unfortunately did not go the distance in longevity - it had a matching top as well - my mum made them for me. I do love your colour palette.

starryfish said...

I have trouble with the concept of a two piece dress, they don't look very 21st century to my eyes. I'd wear the prints with other items myself. I love your wardrobe combos though, if I could only decide what colours really suit me I'd draw up one for me.

Rhoto said...

Ruthie... Could you remind me what your Colours "diagnosis" was and what it is now??
Hug, Rhonda, who's in her changing years ;/

Nightlygardener said...

Ruthie, thanks for sharing about Nancy's core wardrobe. I have been reading her emails too and am working on a Basic Wardrobe based on her recommendations

Anonymous said...

Listen I just wanted to say this is the ONLY instance of "get down into the brown" that Google is aware of. Congratulations!