Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 14 August 2011

What's next?

I was interested to see if I could actually make anything with the bits cut off the bottom of the tunic and the dress when they both reverted to being tops, but unfortunately not, or at least not something I'd want wear (ie I could make a strappy top or halter neck, but not something with proper sleeves without adding from another fabric).

Maybe I should do
- a different orange top
- a cardigan from a mocha sofa throw
- tweed trousers or skirt

BIG SIGH

I have HUGE pile of possible patterns, fabrics, random pattern pieces, scizors, some random paperwork, Burda Magzines, fashion magazines all piled up on the sewing table and its so bad I can't work on any projects.
I have too much inspiration and no clarity.

Any suggestions on a way forward?
What do you do when the sewing space gets like this?

7 comments:

Carol said...

When I get like that I stop sewing and tidy up. I find that as I shuffle through books and patterns, I start to get a clearer idea of where I want to go and some things I was sure I wanted to make end up getting put aside in favour of things that I think work better.

SewRuthie said...

Thanks Carol, I'd gone away and started tidying up in another room, but need to get a grip in the sewing room too :-)

Jenni said...

I tidy up a bit first. Then go into the wardrobe and decide which thing I really need to make. At that point the whole thing crystallises in my head and I realise what I really, really want to make... usually this is something which I don't actually need. :) But at least I have a decision.

Janine said...

I agree with the others - a clean up of your room may also clear your head when overwhelmed. Your tweed would look nice with your orange tops you have sewn - perhaps that next ???

Eugenia said...

I know exactly how you feel! I think the advice given above is excellent - a big clear-up is excellent for clearing the brain.

BetsyV said...

Major tidying up of your sewing space. I recently felt overwhelmed, too, and the first thing I did was dump out the 2 drawers of interfacing and reorganize them into what they were supposed to be: one drawer of organza, batiste, and that bias tailoring stuff, wigan; and one drawer of fusibles, other woven nonfusibles, and hair canvas. I felt much better then.

Susan said...

This is what I do when I find my sewing room looking like a tornado has hit: I set my timer for 15 minutes and then I start tidying. It is amazing what you can do in 15 minutes! Ususally that it all it takes. Do another 15 minutes if necessary. Don't get sidtracked though! Once I have tied up the room, I then tackle some of my repairs jobs or UFOs. I find that getting that out of the way clears my mind no end! And then I'm ready to move from inspiration to planning to actually DOING! Good luck!