Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 21 August 2011

Taupe Sweater Knit Cardigan

This knee length cardigan is made from a cotton cable knit sofa throw from Dunelm Mills (UK home dec store). I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet for closures. Possibly giant press studs with buttons sewn on the outside, or maybe just left with no closures.
I used the ribbed edging of the sofa throw for the hem on the cardigan and sleeves and the side ribbing as the front band. I think its worked out quite well and is pretty wearable.
I think a soft roll collar top would be great under this with the wool trousers for Autumn, add a crazy print scarf and brown chelsea boots, and would be very comfortable.
I have some funny shaped scraps left, plus a little bit of the ribbing used for the front band, so might see if I can cut a knit beany hat or some other fun things!
This was made from the cardigan jacket in my old favourite New Look 6735. I added 7 inches (plus the 1.5" hem) to the length to get the knee length cardigan coat look I was after.

9 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a great idea! This worked out so well that it looks like RTW! Wonderful job!

Linda T said...

VERY nice, Ruthie! I have that same pattern and have only used the top pattern. Need to rethink using the cardigan!

The Hojnackes said...

That is such a great idea! It looks comfortable and stylish.

Janine said...

Looks very professionally done - what a good idea to use a throw - this looks like an extremely useful piece - it would look good belted as well.

Jacquie said...

What a brilliant idea! It looks great.

gwensews said...

Your pretty cardigan just shows that fabric doesn't have to come from a fabric store!

Carolyn said...

Beautifully made, and it will be a wonderful comfy and stylish addition to your wardrobe! Brilliant that you used a throw for your fabric, I would never thought it!

KathyS said...

What a clever idea! I have that pattern and have never used it. Perhaps I should start looking for a throw :)

pdiddly said...

great looking jacket - you should check out the Burda magazine (either the last one or the one before) they have a great sweater pattern using ribbed fabric (if you want to do another)