Quote

Black Lives Matter

Sunday 15 December 2013

Burda Magazine September 2010 #135 Classic trousers

I have been looking back through some older burda magazines (I keep them all and have had donations also from other sewing friends) and liked the look of the plus trousers #135.
They are half lined with side pockets, a front zip and a 2 part waistband. Size 44 uses 1.7m of fabric. They look a lot like my favourite RTW half lined wool mix trousers so I can see them working in my wardrobe.
The only part that I am not particularly confident on is the front fly zip.

I have had good results with Burda trousers in the past. I seem to fit well into their size 44, with just a bit of alteration to take in the back waist. However I think usually I have been using the 44 at the top end of the standard sizing, not the bottom end of the plus sizing, so I will have to see how that works out. The Burda crotch curve generally works quite well for me, particuarly the way they put more to the back crotch and less to the front. If I alter a Simplity pattern to fit, it ends up looking a lot like a Burda, so I just trace the Burda ones!
The image for the trousers looks a bit skinny, and not much like the model.
Not sure what's going on there. I will probably do a muslin or mock up as PJs first before I cut into the wool.
If i could get these to work, they would be fabulous go-to supporting act pieces don't you think?

6 comments:

Linda said...

I always use Sandra Betzina's fly front zip method..... It is easy peasy and looks great when done! Blessings- linda

L said...

I have to try Burda pants as I hear their fit far surpasses that of the US Big 4.

I like using the Jalie method for fly-front zippers. It's very similar to that of Betzina, so either one will do.

I look forward to seeing your finished pants.

SewRuthie said...

L the fit is just different, so does not suit everyone. It is particularly good if one has quite a large derriere!

Jenni said...

Those look like a very good pattern to have in the TNT stable. I have a very good, and easy, fly front instruction in a book by Palmer Pletsch. I find it easier to get a good finish with this than I do with an ordinary zipper now. It is simple to follow with good diagrams. Its in Pants for Real People if you have that book. If not, let me know and we can work something out if you want to try their method.

SewRuthie said...

I am sure I do have 'Pants for Real people'.... somewhere.

Kelley said...

I LOVE Burda pants, and sew from the plus sizes. I've found that the legs on all the Burda pants I've sewn have been a lot wider than I expected from the photographs (and even, sometimes, the line drawings).
A favourite Burda pants pattern of mine, that you might like also, is Burda Plus Spring/Summer 2007 #402, if you have it.