Quote

Black Lives Matter

Friday 2 February 2018

Burda Style magazine 04/2009 #134 Brown Stripe Trousers

These were supposedly part of the Spring 6PAC but they don't work with either of the tops so I'll call them an extra for the Chocolate collection, where two of the three tops work with them.
The fabric is a stretch woven with a variegated stripe in white, yellow and orange. Orange isn't in my palette now so these will need to be worn with ivory and brown garments and gold tone jewellery. The stripe is far enough from my face for it to be OK I think.
The pattern used is Burda Style magazine 04/2009 #134.

This is a pull on trouser pattern for stretch wovens only.  I used a stretch woven mystery fabric with stripes running across the fabric and stretch in both directions. I cut it with the stripes running up and down the leg, ie crosswise and this worked out well.

The fabric was purchased years ago and has been used once already to make a pair of trousers (which got too tight) and there was also a skirt cut out but never sewn up. There are only tiny scraps left now.

I traced the size 46, but modified it slightly by overlaying New Look 6216 and adding the extra at the inner front thigh and back side hip, though I'm not sure that's really needed in this stretchy fabric.
I like the way the front and back darts give more shaping to an elasticated waist trouser than usual, and also how the elastic can be stitched down in 8 places rather than just 4. This really keeps the elastic secure but would make it harder to alter or replace.

The bootcut shape is probably a bit old fashioned these days but it would be easy enough to taper the leg slightly. I did blind hem stitching on the hem. I used 2" elastic in the waist and a 2" hem.

I plan several more of these in brown with a copper stripe and a plain dark brown, these other two should work better with the Spring 6PAC.

No comments: